Make a great product but y’all know that so I’ll just dive into the tactics
First off, the product was awesome. That makes marketing less about “marketing” (whatever that is) and more about educating and sharing with people.
Quant Based Marketing – Create your target marketing sheet –
Work backwards to the solution of what you need (that is the best way to guarantee success) and map it in Excel. This is the KEY to any pre-launch marketing you are doing
When you setup your metrics on the pre-launch and then confirm the marketing channels you cannot fail. Only confirmed matters!! You must confirm the marketing ahead of time: blogs, twitterers, ad buys, etc… Don’t leave it up to chance.
- Partner with similar companies and create benefit for them to email their free users
- Reach out to offline Meetup groups who generally have 200-1,000 person mailing lists
- Befriend owners of Facebook pages and see if you can do contests for an in-kind trade
- Go to the /subreddit (Page on Reddit) related to your business and leave comments
- Search 5-10 keywords related to you on Google and leave comments on those related pages.
- Give away free content or ask partners
- Go write guest posts for any site that’s related. Use Technorati or ask your existing customers which sites they like to go to.
- Email the existing users you have asking for them to refer other people. This sounds obvious but hardly ANYONE does it. It helps if your product doesn’t suck ass.
- Leave video responses on popular-related YouTube Videos
- Manually reach out and connect with your first 1000 customers. More likely they are MORE important than then 99,000 next people you’ll get
- Raise your prices so you don’t need to get so many people 🙂
- Manually reach out to Twitter / Facebook followers of your competitors
- Look at new channels that have less competition (rules) like snapchat, pinterest, instagram to drive traffic
- Consider going international where traffic is cheaper (okay, you’re not paying but you know what I’m saying)
- Evaluate doing mobile related marketing since it’s more affordable (less competition)
- Get your site featured on http://AppSumo.com, DailyWorth.com, Thrillist, DailyCandy, Groupon or some site that promotes others.