In terms of reading and learning, there is a ton of accumulated wisdom available on the Web for free thanks to the efforts of many veteran entrepreneurs, angels, VCs, lawyers, CPAs, and others.
I’ll produce my “Top 15” list of favorites here: – the focus is heavily on early-stage startups in consumer Web, mobile apps, social media, digital media and similar businesses that intend to seek angel or VC funding at some point in their lifecycle:
- Survey results regarding current state of the VC funding market (WSJ) – http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2010/02/19/venture-deal-terms-studies-hint-worst-is-over/tab/print/
- How To Pick A Co-Founder, by Naval Ravikant (Venture Hacks) – http://bll.la/4I
- CompStudy 2008 Report on Equity and Cash Compensation at Technology Startups – http://bll.la/4J
- How to Work with Lawyers at a Startup (Mark Suster) – http://bll.la/9M
- The Founders’ Pie Calculator (Frank Demmler) – http://bll.la/9j
- When and Where to Incorporate, Corporation vs. LLC, etc. (Yoichiro Taku) (“Yokum”) – http://bll.la/4K
- Types of Angel Financing (Scott Edward Walker) – http://bll.la/4e
- Seed Funding Best Practices (Mark MacLeod) (“StartupCFO”) – http://bll.la/4E
- Term Sheet Series (Brad Feld) – http://bll.la/9m
- Term Sheet Generator for Venture Financing (Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati) – http://bll.la/9Y, plus my commentary at http://bll.la/55
- Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Advisors, by Babak Nivi (Venture Hacks) – http://bll.la/4h and http://bll.la/4i
- How To Pump Up Your VC Valuation (Matthew Bartus) – http://bll.la/9K
- “Series Seed” Financing Documents (Ted Wang) – http://bll.la/53,
- Gust.comThis is rapidly becoming a valuable resource for early stage entrepreneurs and angel investors.